Monday 1 June 2015

Homemade Pesto Crumbed Chicken – The perfect after gym snack!




I am a changed person, I used to be the first person to grab the easiest meal after a gym work out…a protein shake with pasta and tuna, but now I have seen the error of my ways. I wasn’t progressing with my training, and wasn’t reaping the benefits of training 5 days a week.

At the weekend’s I now like to spend my time making fresh meals from scratch.

This weekend was spent in the gym for a two hour session, then onto making fresh pesto. Pesto is really easy to make, and tastes so much better fresh, rather than from a jar.

The below dish is really simple to make, and so tasty!

How to make fresh pesto:

Lots and lots of fresh basil – two bunches should do with lots of large leaves
2 cloves of garlic – I like my pesto punchy!
A cup full of toasted pine nuts
Grated parmesan to taste
Good Quality light Olive Oil – dependent on how thick or smooth you would like it. I added 4 tbsp at first and then a further two tbsp to thin the pesto to my liking
A pinch of salt
Blitz in a blender for 30 seconds

To make a pesto crust:
Mix 2 tbsp of the fresh pesto with a handful of Pulsetta Gluten Free breadcrumbs
I then seared chicken slices on a griddle pan and topped with the pesto crust mixture.
The chicken slices were then grilled for 3 minutes on a heat of 170 degrees.

Pesto pasta:
Cook a handful of Beviamo ltd traditional Italian pasta shells and stir in some of the homemade pesto.

Serve with three slices of low fat mozzarella, slices of tomato and steamed tender stem broccoli with toasted pine nuts. 


The perfect after gym snack - tasty and healthy with no processed foods in sight! 

1 comment: